Why the Starwood Preferred Credit Card is the best rewards card in Canada
We love to travel, but it is expensive for Canadians to travel – a trip from Victoria, BC to my hometown of Thunder Bay, ON can run close to $800 in the high-season.
I have the solution, though!
We have recently applied for the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Personal Card, annual fee of $120.
In my opinion the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Personal Card is the best credit card(s) for earning Air Canada Aeroplan miles, which offer one SPG point per dollar spent on all purchases, and two SPG points per dollar spent at SPG properties.
Points can be transferred to Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio, and for every 20,000 points transferred you get a 5,000 point bonus, meaning you’re essentially earning 1.25 Aeroplan miles per dollar spent.
I am a strong believer in responsible credit. Many personal finance gurus will argue that you should not use credit cards. I disagree and can point out my free trips to Europe, California, Florida and Ontario while building my credit history.
With our referral link you could earn a bonus offer of 21,000 Bonus Starpoints when you charge $1,000 in purchases to your Card in the first 3 months of card membership.
Why this is the best rewards credit card in Canada:
- Can redeem Starpoints at over 1,000 hotels and resorts in nearly 100 countries, and for flights on more than 350 airlines through SPG Flights. No blackout dates.
- You can transfer Starpoints out of the SPG program into most major airlines at a rate of 1.25 to 1 when you transfer a block of 20,000 points (20,000 Starpoints = 25,000 airline miles. This is a highly desirable program because of its points-to-miles transfers offering a 5,000-mile bonus when you transfer 20,000 points. For example, if I transfer 20,000 SPG points to Aeroplan, I would have 25,000 Aeroplan miles. I have seen transfer bonuses in the past year with Avios where I would earn a 25% bonus on the miles transferred to Avios, to earn 31,250 Avios when transferring SPG points.
- SPG points do not expire as long as you earn, redeem, or purchase points once every 12 months.
- Points can be transferred for no cost between accounts only by members of the same household.
- If you were flying from Victoria, BC to Miami you could get a free stopover in Toronto for just 25,000 ClassicFlight Aeroplan miles roundtrip. This is a major value and saves you from redeeming extra Aeroplan miles for multiple flights.One of the major benefits of the ClassicFlight Aeroplan redemptions is the generous stopover that you are allowed. In general, a stopover city is between your origin and destination. The stopover city must be allowable within the fare rules for the origin and destination. For example, on a trip from Montreal to Vancouver, you could include a stopover in Winnipeg but not a stopover in New York.
- Can also transfer to Avios and get amazing value, Toronto to New York or Toronto to Chicago is just 9,000 Avios miles for a return ticket (can be close to $400 usually). Another interesting flight route is from Boston to Dublin on Aer Lingus, to redeem only 25,000 Avios roundtrip in coach or 50,000 Avios for business class.
- Can redeem Cash and points (hotel redemption for 3,000 SPG points + $35 per night).
Why this isn’t the best credit card in Canada:
- Tough to redeem at their hotels (high redemption rates).
- No retail partners to earn many SPG points.
Apply now for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express
Disclosure: If you get accepted for the card through this link, I get 10,000 points for the referral in my account. (But it really is a win-win – you also get an additional 1,000 Starpoints !)