It is incredible how much the Super Bowl costs (just to watch at home). It is the biggest non-holiday eating day of the year but I will be travelling that day so I won’t have a chance to watch, but I wanted to share how massive this game is for the snack and food industry!
- Last January for the Super Bowl, Americans were estimated to eat more than 15,000 tons of chips. This adds up to a total cost of $55 million on food and $237 million on soft drinks.
- The National Restaurant Association estimates 48 million Americans will order takeout or delivery while watching the game.
- More than 1.25 billion portions of chicken wings will be consumed for the Super Bowl, according to the National Chicken Council’s 2012 Wing Report.
- According to the California Avocado commission, 12 million pounds of avocado are sold in preparation for the game so that Americans may devour an estimated eight million pounds of guacamole.
- 7-Eleven claims a whopping 20 percent in sales of antacid the day after the Super Bowl.