Lasagna happens to be one of my favorite dishes specifically a lasagna with the traditional ricotta filling. However ricotta in lasagna is a treat because of the high cost but to justify the cost try to scrimp on the other ingredients. I made these Spinach Miniature Lasagna Rolls last week from scratch and added in frozen spinach I purchased a few weeks back when the spinach was on sale for $0.99/300g.
Providing you have an hour on your hands this simple easy to make frugal recipe can easily be served at your table. It’s absolutely delicious! It’s a great vegetarian dish that contains all the nutrients you need.
Here is the break down of how it’s made:
|Spinach Miniature Lasagna Rolls||
- 2 Cups of whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp of warm water
- 2 tsp Olive oil
- 1.5 Cups chopped onion
- 2 tsp chopped garlic
- 2x 450g of chopped spinach
- 2 tbsp of Dijon mustard
- 3/4 Cup of ricotta
- 1 Cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 Can of Hunts tomato sauce
- 1/4 Cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- To prepare the lasagna sheets, mound the flour in a large bowl and scoop out a well in the middle. Place the eggs into the hole and add the add salt. Knead the eggs and the flour together until you have a smooth dough. Adding a drop of water if necessary and continue to knead the dough for ten to fifteen minutes, until it is smooth, firm, and quite elastic.
- Preheat oven to 400°f
- Coat a large, nonstick skillet with the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the frozen spinach and cook until spinach becomes soft for about 8 minutes.
- In a separate bowl add the ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Place 1 cup of the tomato sauce into a baking dish.
- Boiling a large pot of water and begin to cook each lasagna sheet one at at time.
- Once one lasagna sheet is cooked sprinkle grated mozzarella cheese on the sheet and spread spinach filling on sheet.
- Carefully roll the the lasagna sheet and place in the baking dish on it’s side as apposed to layers.
- Continue the same step with each lasagna sheet. Once all the sheets have been filled and placed into the baking dish, pour the rest of the tomato sauce and sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes when cheese is melted. Serve hot.