Over the weekend I made caramel popcorn for the potluck on Saturday night. I love popcorn and been having salt craving these days so I debated on purchasing Kernels Popcorn. I was completely floored when I stopped in at Kernels Popcorn to grab a quick healthy snack while doing some Christmas shopping.
A small bag of caramel popcorn ranged in price from $6.99 to $15.99. That same amount, I can make at home would cost me pennies a bag. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. I didn’t purchase the any popcorn and walked away. Some people may argue the time involved, staffing, and convenience justifies the purchase.
For those people that do agree, I have only two words to say, “Wake up, a bag of 1 kg of popping corn costs $1.77. That will give you 29 small bags of popcorn which would equal $0.06 and not $6.99/ bag. Now I haven’t included the caramel but I’ll do that too!
To make the popcorn – Place two heaping tablespoons of popping corn in a brown paper bag and pop the corn in your microwave for 2 minutes. This should give you one bag equal to a small bag of Kernels Popcorn. Now the caramel and cost breakdown:
Price Check Experiment
Cost of Grocery Alerts for 1 Small bag of Caramel Popcorn = $1.58
Cost of Kernel Popcorn for 1 Small bag of Caramel Popcorn = $6.99
- 1 kg /approx 58 tbsp of popping corn = 29 bags of popped popcorn. $1.77 or $0.06/bag
- 1 kg of brown sugar = 5 cups of brown sugar. $3.25 or $0.65/bag
- 1 lb of butter = 2 cups of butter. $3.49 or $0.87/bag
Total: Popping corn $0.06 + 1 cup brown sugar $0.65 + 1/2 cup butter $0.87 = $1.58/bag of caramel popcorn.
|Price Check Experiment | Homemade Caramel Popcorn vs. Kernels Caramel Popcorn||
- 4 small brown paper bags of popped popcorn
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence (optional)
- In small saucepan, combine sugar, and butter, over high heat and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat and let cool. Stir in the vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl coat popcorn caramel sauce evenly.
- Place caramel corn onto a large baking sheet and arrange popcorn in a single layer.
- Bake at 350°F in oven for 7-10 minutes.
- Allow the popcorn to cool and place in a storage container.