Historically probiotics were used to treat several intestinal diseases before antibiotics were discovered. Probiotics are found in fermented milk products such as yogurt, but before yogurt was developed it meant ingesting soured milk which was fermented with a Bulgarian bacillus bacteria culture. In the early 20th century this treatment was the common prescription for irritable bowel, and to improve intestinal health. Sour milk diets proved to be very helpful for a vast array of digestive problems long before they had the specific names and known causes they have today.
Probiotics our living Bacteria Friends
Probiotics are cultured bacteria, which means they are living microorganisms thought to be beneficial to humans. It is shocking to some people that bacteria can be beneficial. In order to understand how bacteria can be helpful in digestion, we must consider the nature of the intestinal tract. Bacteria both beneficial and harmful are found in the colon. It’s perfectly normal, and part of the digestion process. There are certain balances in the populations of bacteria which must be maintained or the entire digestive process is impaired. Balance can be thrown off by antibiotics, which kill some types of bacteria while not bothering others. Balance can also be impacted by sudden changes in diet, stress, a bacterial infection, or a change in ph balance in the colon. Probiotics replace bacteria which are commonly killed off by some of these other factors. They aid in digestion.
Today’s yogurts are a huge improvement over the sour milk of the 1920’s. In order to make yogurt one deliberately grows a culture of bacteria to inoculate into the yogurt. Modern yogurt has been scientifically formulated with just the right balances to improve colon health. Modern yogurt tastes great, and offers a wide variety of advantages over sour milk, including fresh fruit flavors, and a real understanding of probiotic function in colon health which was not quite grasped in the 1920’s.
Long Term Health Benefits of Probiotics found in Yogurt
• Manage Lactose Intolerance – Probiotics manage lactose intolerance because lactic acid bacteria convert lactose into lactic acid.
• Prevent Colon Cancer – Lactobacillus bulgaricus in yogurt binds with heterocyclic amines. Heterocyclic amines are carcinogens found in cooked meat. Probiotics also reduce the activity of B-glucuronidase enzyme, which is potentially carcinogenic.
• May Lower Cholesterol – Studies indicate that probiotics can slightly lower the levels in serum cholesterol, by breaking down bile, and inhibiting re-absorption.
• Lower Blood Pressure – Studies show that probiotics lower BP due to ACE inhibitor peptides which occur during fermentation.
• Prevent Infections by Improving Immune Function – This is due to competitive inhibition, but also due to increased production of T –lymphocytes.
Probiotics Promote Health in Many Ways
Probiotics found in yogurt have been shown to improve many conditions. It is helpful in treating all of the following health problems. It does not always cure an illness completely, but it has many preventative and immune benefits which help conditions heal, and keep them from occurring.
Probiotics found in Yogurt
• Prevent cavities
• Decrease incidence of respiratory infections
• Treat and prevent acute diarrhea
• Decrease severity of rotavirus infection
• Treat travelers’ diarrhea
• Prevent secondary infections associated with antibiotics
• Treat helicobacter pylori infections (cause peptic ulcers)
• Prevent and treat antibiotic associated diarrhea
• Reduce inflammation
• Reduce hypersensitivity responses
• Treat and prevent reoccurrences of inflammatory bowel disease
• Improve vitamin and mineral absorption
• Prevent stress related bacterial growth
• Treat colitis
• Reduce urinary tract infections
• Improve bacterial vaginosis
Yogurt is a tasty cure and preventative for a wide variety of conditions which are very unpleasant, and a few which are potentially deadly. Probiotics found in yogurt can not only increase your longevity, but also make living a lot more pleasant, by reducing the effects of many uncomfortable minor illnesses throughout a lifetime. Yogurt is a great way to live a longer and happier healthier life.
To celebrate Probiotics – we have several free product coupons from Astro for their Astro BioBest Probiotic yogurt. Send me an email at email@example.com with your request (limited quantities).