Canada Post Strike Update as of June 20, 2011.
The most significant issue affecting Canadian couponers recently has been the Canada postal strike/lockout across Canada. Originally, postal workers were striking on a rotating basis, but it now is a National problem for all of the postal workers. Last Tuesday, over 50,000 members of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW) were locked out from their jobs.
Problems with the strike:
- Millions of citizens and couponers have not received important pieces of mail/coupons or have received them too late.
- The strike has forced several newspapers and magazines to shut down operations as they are no longer able to deliver their product to their customers.
- The United States Postal Service (USPS) has announced that they no longer will be accepting packages and letters being sent to Canadian addresses. They expect the lockout and strike to last until at least the end of next week.
What you can do?
- Start using more printable coupons. Do a search on GroceryAlerts.ca for “printable” and find dozens of great printable coupons. You can use these right away and more companies are looking at
- Move your magazine subscriptions to electronic subscriptions. Saves time and paper (waiting for subscription to arrive).
- Sign up for ePost and avoid getting bills by regular mail.