Once again I manged to locate a tasty frugal recipe. This loaf is different in the way it’s a savory loaf not a sweet loaf as the original recipe called for.
It is an ideal loaf to serve with a salad as I did last night or soup. When cooking a loaf it’s easy to double the recipe ingredients to make two batches, giving you one loaf to freeze and store for the near future. I like to have the fresh loaf handy and use the frozen one to pack in my husband’s lunch for him to take to work.
To make this recipe frugal you will need to replace some of the cheeses. I did use Ricotta because I bought Ricotta to make the lasagna later in the week. I only used one cup of Ricotta and added milk to get the correct texture. The Gouda was also replaced by the Kraft shredded cheddar cheese I picked up at Walmart this week for free. You can use alternative ingredients when cooking so that the recipe can easily be turned into a frugal one. I was after a savory loaf and not sweet loaf and by omitting the sugar in the recipe I ended up with that a savory loaf taking off a few calories too!
|Spiced Squash and carrot loaf with Gouda Cheese||
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- cup wheat bran, oat bran or wheat bran cereal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- tsp baking soda
- tsp ground cinnamon
- cup grated carrots
- cup grated butternut squash
- cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup Aged Gouda, grated or cubed – I used shredded cheddar cheese
- cup soft butter
- 1/3 cup sugar – I didn’t use any sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ cup Ricotta – I used 1 cup and added milk to make it moist
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC). Grease and flour large bread pan, or line with parchment paper.
- In large bowl, mix dry ingredients.
- Add vegetables and 2/3 cup (160 ml) of Gouda. Make a well in middle of bowl.
- In another bowl, beat butter along with sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Incorporate Ricotta and pour liquid ingredients into well of dry ingredients. Stir with a fork until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Spread out in bread pan, add remaining Gouda on top, and bake in centre of oven 1 hr. and 15 min. or until bread is golden and toothpick inserted in its middle comes out clean.