It doesn’t matter what time of the year it is, “Stuffed Red Peppers” are always suitable for any meal whether it’s a side with turkey dinner or a colourful spring lunch. These stuffed red peppers are so popular in my home that every time I serve them to guests the first question asked is always, “how did you make these.”
This dish takes only 5-7 minutes to prepare and approx. 25 minutes to bake. It’s a healthy frugal dish that is easy and quick to make. Occasionally I will add raisins and pinenuts to give it a different texture and a more fruity taste. I also substitute the pesto and dijon for sweet berry jam.
Recipe for Quinoa Stuffed Red Pepper
- 4-6 medium sized red pepper bell
- 1 cup of quinoa (add 2 cups of water for every cup of quinoa)
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomato
- 1/4 cup of walnuts
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tbsp of pesto
- 1 tbsp of dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Cook quinoa, 2 cups of water for every one cup of quinoa. Once cooked place quinoa, chopped onion, sundried tomato and walnuts in a bowl and mix well.
- To make sauce place pesto, olive oil, dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar into a jar. Close lid and shake well. Pour sauce into quinoa mixture and stir until absorbed.
- Cut the tops of the peppers off, removing the stems and then scrape out the seeds with a spoon. Stuff each pepper with quinoa filling to the rim. Place them in a baking dish and bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until peppers are a little wrinkly and soft.
What ingredients would you use to make the quinoa stuffed peppers your own?