A very healthy and sweet dessert for all you sweet potato lovers out there. This is a revised version of the sweet potato pie recipe that contains 500 ml of cream and 1/4 cup of sugar in both the piecrust and filling.
I temped to make this version for my birthday gathering with friends but as you can imagine with such rich ingredients it was very creamy and heavy on the calories but yes, extremely delicious.
(Photo of the Healthy Sweet Potato Pie)
With all the sweet potato left over I decided to make a second sweet potato pie for Thanksgiving dinner but for my middle aged friends it needed to be different. They watch everything they eat, there was no way I could serve such a devilish divine sweet potato pie dessert.
I removed the sugar and butter out of the crust and substituted it with coconut spread and the cream with almond milk. Some of my readers may know that I’m trying to loose the baby weight hence the unusual healthy ingredients found in my fridge and pantry.
I will have you all know that I did use coupons for both the coconut spread and almond milk for all you people that think there are no coupons for healthy food out there! Here is the proof.
Healthy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
A healthy sweet potato pie that omits butter, sugar, and cream and comes out just as tasty but much much healthier.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 1/4 Cup Hazelnuts
- 1/4 Cup Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup Almonds
- 1 Cup Graham cracker
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Spread
- 2 Teaspoons Pumpkin spice – one for crust and one for filling
- 1/2 Cup Almond milk
- 1/4 Cup Maple Syrup
- 2 Cups Sweet Potato
- 3 Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Wash and poke sweet potatoes. Place the sweet potatoes in a baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until well cooked. Let cool before peeling off the skin.
- To make crust, place hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, pumpkin spice and graham crackers in a food processor and pulse until the ingredients resembles graham cracker crumbs.
- Place the crumbs in a medium bowl and add the coconut spread. Ensure that the coconut spread is not in liquid form. You want the coconut spread to help form the crumbs into the piecrust. Once mixed, place ingredients into pie dish and form pie crust with fingers.
- Place the piecrust aside and begin to make filling. Once the sweet potatoes have cooled peel the skin off and cut up into pieces. Place the pieces in the food processor and pure.
- In the meantime beat 3 eggs with the almond milk, pumpkin spice and maple syrup. Mix the sweet potatoes in with the liquid ingredients until if forms an creamy like constancy.
- Pour mixture into prepared piecrust and bake on middle rack of oven until the center is firm and set, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove pie from oven and cool completely on a rack. Chill and serve at room temperature.
Healthy Sweet Potato Pie!