I love a nice creamy chowder but the problem is they all tend to be high in fat as well as calories. My mission last week was to make a healthier Corn Chowder version.
As you may know I’m not a big fan of milk anyway, cream on the other hand is a no brainer. Come on, who doesn’t love cream. I didn’t have cream or cows milk, only almond and soy in the fridge so I am cutting out the majority of the fat already. I was off to a great start with creating a healthy version of Corn Chowder
This corn chowder also eliminated the traditional thickening base of potato and flour. Another big hit on the calorie intake. I blended the corn with the soy to make the creamy milky chowder. Accessing my ingredients in the pantry, quinoa and beans stood out too. Out with the quinoa and white beans as well.
Now if you are trying to eat health for less this corn chowder recipe will do the trick. It will also give you the cozy sensation of the warm creamy comfort food that I was craving that day.
Here is the low fat and and inexpensive healthy Corn Chowder recipe:
Healthy Corn Chowder Recipe
A healthy corn chowder recipe that still gives you the cozy sensation of the warm creamy comfort food for a lot less without the added calories.
Prep time: 20 Minutes
Cook time: 25 Minutes
Total time: 45 Minutes
Yield: 6-8 Servings
- 2 Cups Soy or non dairy milk (Unsweetened and plain)
- 1.5 Cups Frozen corn
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lemon
- 1.5 Cups White beans (already cooked)
- 1.5 Cups Vegetable stock
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper
- If you have decided to use dried white beans, prepare and soak the beans the day before. Ensure that these white beans are ready and cooked to add to the corn chowder.
- To start, combine 1 cup of milk with 3/4 cup of frozen corn in a blender. Puree the corn with the milk first.
- In a large sauce pan saute the onions with the olive oil, lemon zest and Dijon mustard. Combine the pureed corn and milk to the sauce pan and add in the vegetable stock, cover and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Rinse the quinoa and combine to chowder adding in the white beans, the remaining corn and the rest of the milk at this stage.
- Chop up the yellow and orange bell peppers and add to sauce pan.
- Give the chowder a good stir to incorporate the all the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once finished squeeze the left over lemon into the sauce pan, feel free to add some Tabasco sauce for a little spicy kick too.