The Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Program is one of the most popular retail loyalty programs in Canada.
Canadians love loyalty programs. Maritz Canada reports that 94% of Canadians belong to some type of loyalty program.
Members of the Shoppers Optimum Program collect 10 Shoppers Optimum Points for every $1 they spend at Shoppers Drug Mart locations. Members also have access to special points events throughout the year, like 20x the points on cosmetics, 10x the points on Life Brand® and exclusive products. Shoppers Optimum Points can be redeemed on purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart.
How the Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points works
The program is really easy. When you make any purchase at Shoppers Drug Mart you earn Optimum Points. You earn 10 points for almost every dollar spent at PharmaPrix (Quebec labelled stores) and Shoppers Drug Mart.
The card is very valuable as you can redeem points you earn using the card for merchandise at Shoppers Drug Mart.
During certain times of the year, Shoppers Optimum card holders can obtain 20 times the regular points on everything they buy at Shoppers Drug Mart.
Here is a table that summarizes the Optimum redemption values on a regular redemption day:
|Points Redeemed||Value||Cash Return|
|The above data is current as of January 12, 2012|
Here is a table that summarizes the Optimum redemption values on a Mega redemption day (as at January 12, 2012):
|Points Redeemed||Value||Cash Return|
|The above data is current as of January 12, 2012|
10 ways to collect Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum Points Faster
There are 10 tricks to collect Shoppers Optimum points faster:
- Get Shoppers Optimum Bonus Points on specially marked items in-store every day. Certain brands like Advil, and Axe have bonus points available when you purchase their products. Here is a sample coupon below for 1,250 bonus Optimum Points.
- Moving your prescriptions from your current pharmacy to Shoppers Drug Mart will give you bonus Optimum points depending on your province and store location (your mileage may vary).
- Purchase a Shoppers Gift Card and collect the regular Optimum Points on that purchase. Use that gift card and collect additional Optimum Points on the additional purchases. This allows you to double-dip!
- Work with your friends and family and combine points for a big shopping trip. You could transfer your Shoppers Optimum points to other Shoppers Optimum members cards.
You can pool your friends and family’s points together and maximize your redemption power by logging in at (https://www.shoppersoptimum.ca/OptimumTransfer/en_CA/person.do)
- Find their special points events throughout the year. Shoppers has promotions like 20x the points on cosmetics, 10x the points on Life Brand® and exclusive products, and 10x the points on health products like vitamins. Here is a recent example of a 15x points event on certain cosmetics brand purchases.
- Use our canadian coupons to bring down the cost of your purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart.
They accept printable coupons and have a great coupon policy. If you have any $ off coupons (i.e. $2 off Tide) and the Tide was sold for $5.99, you will receive the Optimum Points on the pre-coupon price (entered as code 2001 by the clerk)!The only time that this will not work is when you have a Free Product Coupon (FPC), where you get the product for free. Shoppers Drug Mart clerks will then enter the coupon as code 2002 so you don’t get points for them.
You can maximize your points during their 20x points event by spending $50 before using coupons. For example, you spend $55 but have $25 worth of coupons. Your out of pocket cost would only be $30 (plus tax) plus you would earn your 20x points. Remember to break each transaction over $50 to maximize your point accumulation.
- Make sure that you sign up for our Grocery Alerts newsletter and receive unadvertised email offers, only for Shoppers Optimum Members. We will provide a link to the printable coupon for the bonus points.
- When you subscribe to their Glow beauty magazine, they have offers for additional bonus Optimum points.
A sample coupon, would be if you buy Cover Girl mascara, you can get 2000 points.
- Tell a Friend Event. Once a year, Shoppers Drug Mart wants to promote their rewards program by getting its members to refer their friends.
In 2011, during this event you registered online and referred a few friends. For every person that registered under you and spent $20 at Shoppers Drug Mart, you would receive 5,000 points (to a maximum of 10 people referred).
- UPDATE: As of March 17, 2012, The Royal Bank will be offering a Shoppers Optimum debit card that will allow you to earn Shoppers Optimum Points when you shop with it. Some of the benefits include:
- Earn 10 additional Shoppers Optimum points for every $1 spent at Shoppers Drug Mart using the RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account. This is on top of the regular Optimum points
- Earn one Shoppers Optimum point for every $1 spent outside Shoppers Drug Mart using the RBC Shoppers Optimum Banking Account
- Bonus Shoppers Optimum points – 50,000 bonus points for setting up a payroll or pension deposit to the new account and completing two online bill payments
- Register for a MBNA Shoppers Optimum Mastercard.
- You get 15,000 points upon your first purchase.
- Earn 5 points for every $1 spent outside Shoppers Drug Mart
- Earn 15 extra points for every $1 you spend at Shoppers Drug Mart when you use your credit card in addition to your regular Optimum Card.
Frequently Asked Questions regarding Shoppers Optimum Program
Why should I wait until I collect 95,000 points to redeem?
The Optimum program lets you redeem your points at any time. It is better to hold on to your Optimum Points and wait for a Mega-Redemption weekend. These weekends you receive more cash for your points.
Here is a previous post, that shows how we were able to get $500 worth of free product at Shoppers Drug mart with the Mega Redemption.
Why you should wait for the 20x points events to make major purchases at Shoppers Drug Mart?
If you shop at a variety of drug stores or grocery stores in Canada, you will discover one thing when it comes to Shoppers Drug Mart prices. Their products in general are more expensive than most drug stores or grocery stores.
These weekend shopping dates are so much more valuable for Optimum shoppers.
How much more?
For example, if you spend $50 on almost anything in-store, you don’t just get 500 points, you get 10,000 points. Do that 5 times, and you have enough points to redeem to save up to $85 off. Once you get up to 95,000 points, you can save up to $170 off.
What is Shoppers Opimum Plus and how do I earn Optimum Plus Status?
Shoppers Plus is an added bonus for people that earn 15,000 base points in a calendar year. This does not include bonus points earned from promotions or bonus coupons. We achieved this in 2011 with the help of purchasing many Shoppers Gift Cards!
As a Shoppers Drug Mart Plus Member you will receive special promotions and coupons emailed to you.
If you earn Plus status in 2011 as an example, you will also have Plus status for 2012. However, in 2012, you will also need to accumulate the needed Optimum base points (15,000) to have it for 2013.
What purchases do not earn any Optimum points?
Shoppers Optimum Points are awarded based on net (purchase price less discounts) pre-tax purchases. Shoppers Optimum Points are not awarded and may not be redeemed on cigarettes and tobacco (where sold), gifts with purchase, bus tickets, passes, pre-paid phone cards, electronic gift cards, lottery tickets, lifeEXPERIENCE packages, products purchased in the post office, delivery charges (where applicable), bottle deposits/returns (where accepted), bill payments (where accepted) or charitable donations.
The collection of points for prescription purchases may vary by province and is governed by provincial governments, provincial regulatory authorities and third party insurance plans. Discount applies to the full purchase price (excluding taxes). Shoppers Optimum Points cannot be redeemed on prescription drugs and products that contain codeine.
Enjoy these related post(s):
Want a travel Card that knows no boundaries?
- Earn a Welcome Bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards points (worth $250) just by making $500 in purchases in your first 3 months of membership. That's enough for a round-trip flight almost anywhere in North America!
- No annual fee for the first year. A value of $150!
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
- Earn one point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else.
- Transfer your points to frequent flyer programs, or one-to-one to Aeroplan and Avios.
- Charge any travel including gas to your Card and pay with points, with no blackout periods.