From the publisher:
Raw snacks are nature’s original fast foods—delicious, easy to prepare, and bursting with the ingredients you need to stay healthy and energized on even the busiest days. Stephanie Tourles offers 125 simple recipes for mouthwatering parfaits, trail mixes, smoothies, energy bars, juice blends, soups, vegetable chips, dips, candies, cookies, and more. Made from unprocessed whole foods—such as nuts, seeds, dried and fresh fruits, vegetables, oats, carob, cocoa, and fresh juices—these snacks have fewer than 250 calories and are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and enzymes.
About the Author:
Stephanie Tourles is a licensed holistic esthetician in both Massachusetts and Maine, with over 20 years experience. Trained in western-style herbalism, she specializes in the use of herbs as they pertain to skin, hair, nail, and foot care and regularly creates herbal cosmetics and treatments for her clients and friends. She is also a certified aromatherapist, with extensive training in the nutritional sciences, and is the author of several books on natural body care including The Herbal Body Book, Naturally Healthy Skin, and Natural Foot Care. Stephanie resides in Orland, Maine with her husband and pets, and spends her spare time hiking, organic gardening, and cooking.
In Raw Energy Stephanie Tourles educates the reader about the fundamentals of raw eating as well as 4 chapters of tasty recipes for raw snacks, smoothies, soups, and energy bars.
We tried a recipe from this book so I made Juicy Apple Muesli and Pecan Raisin Balls. I chose these two recipes because I had the ingredients on hand and they did not require a dehydrator. Both recipes were incredibly easy and quick to make. Oh and the taste, wow!
Tourles covers the benefits of raw snacks, including:
- Raw Snack Basics – defines raw food; answers Why Eat Raw?; Naturally Occurring Food Enzymes; Why Organic?; Why Snack?; How to Make Snacking Part of Your Active Day; Use Snacks to Increase Your Energy
- The Raw Snack Pantry & Kitchen Equipment Essentials – Tourles defines all the ingredients and their nutritional values called for in her recipes. The kitchen equipment section is great for deciding which tools you can use now, and which ones you can grow into later on.
- Raw Snack Prep 101: Learning How to "Uncook" – a short and handy section for understanding how to properly prepare raw food recipes.
Then the book dives right into the easy to follow recipes! There’s not a lot of illustrations in the book, but that’s ok. The recipes are very well written and pretty straight forward. My mind started to dream when I read
- Super-Satisfying Raw Nut Milks, Shakes, Smoothies, and Frozen Fruit Creams
- Fit and Fabulous Fruit and Vegetable Juices
- The Snacks That Keep You Going: Energizing Bars, Balls, and Bites
- Powerhouse Nut, Seed, and Fruit Blends
- Raw Cereals and Delectable Fruit Parfaits
- Vegetable Jolt: Crispy Chips, Zippy Dips, And Scrumptious Spreads
- Chillin’ Fresh, Cold Fruit and Vegetable Soups
- Raw Confections: No-Guilt, Nutrient-Packed Candy and Cookies
Tourles ends the book with Suggested Reading, Resources, and a very well organized Index.
Here is the news about the giveaway:
Thanks to the wonderful generosity of the Raw Energy book publisher, one lucky person will each win their own copy of Raw Energy.
Leave a comment with your e-mail in your profile.
· Giveaway ends May 12, 2010 @ midnight (Pacific Time).
· Leave your email address or use Facebook to comment.
· We will be using Random.org to choose the winner.
· US and Canadian addresses.
For extra entries (Leave us an additional comment for each):
· Post a link to our website (
<a href=" http://www.groceryalerts.ca"> Grocery Alerts Canada – Printable Coupons</a>) on your website.
· Become a fan of Grocery Alerts Canada on Facebook.
· Facebook/Tweet about this review/giveaway. (@groceryalerts #giveaway Raw Energy cookbook http://tinyurl.com/rawenergy)
· Follow @groceryalerts on Twitter
Grocery Alerts Canada has not been compensated for this review. Grocery Alerts was given the product to review by the company.