At some stage or another we’ve all used the word “treat” to bribe our kids. I’m not a fan of it but yes I’ve been caught more often than I like to admit. The problem with treats is they generally contain sugar. My little one loves the fruit leather full of junk to put it politely! I decided it was time to make my own and eliminate all the additives and crap in these popular treats that claim to be healthy and 100% real fruit. After all I lead a healthy lifestyle which means I should put as much energy into clean eating into my kids as I do myself!
Fruit Leather - NO added sugar. NO preservatives made with 100% real organic fruit.
- 10 organic apples
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of water
- Wash, peel and core apples.
- Place apples and cinnamon in a large saucepan. Add a half cup of water and bring to a simmer, cover and let cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes until the fruit is cooked through.
- Place the cooked apples into a food processor. Purée until the apples are very smooth.
- If using an oven set it to the lowest setting and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. You can also use a dehydrator if you have one - it takes less time to dry out the fruit. If you have a convection oven it would be better to use it. This will speed the process of drying out the furit.
- Pour out the purée into the lined baking sheet to about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and allow for the fruit to dry out. You will see the difference in the colour of the wet fruit and the dry fruit. It took me 4 hours to dry out a try on 170 degrees. Leave it in the oven for as long as it takes. You will see the fruit leather dry when the surface is smooth throughout. Let it cool.
- Once the fruit leather is cool, it is ready to be cut, rolled and stored. I kept mine rolled up in a plastic bag. Place in the fridge or freezer.