Healthy soup for pennies a bowl.
Once again I’m revisiting my budget and started looking at ways to cut costs out on my groceries as well as save time. With the added work load this month I’ve been struggling for time, which means we tend to compromise how we eat. My husband and I have recently become vegetarian for the most part.
Not long ago I reviewed a Vegan cookbook and I noticed how much better I was feeling hence the slight change in our diet and budget.. Cut out meat!
The great thing about this time of the year and experimenting with our new diet, is all the soup you can eat. Luckily my husband and I love soup. So this is what I’ve decided to do for the next few months over the Autumn. Make one healthy batch of soup that will last a few meals while not compromising a well balanced diet.
White bean and pea soup at pennies a bowl.
Total cost of soup of soup $3.90
|Feed a family for under $4 with a healthy hearty bowl of soup||
- 1/2 bag of white dried beans – COST: $2.10 for 900g / 2 = $1.05 (1/2 a bag)
- 1/2 bag of frozen sweet peas – COST: $2.25 for 1kg bag /2 = $1.13 (1/2 a bag)
- 1 Onion – COST: $0.34 for medium sized white onion
- 1 bunch of stalk of Celery – COST: $0.97 for one whole
- Garlic – COST: $0 garlic from the garden
- Butter – COST: $3.29 for 1lb / 8 = $0.41 (I only use 1/4 cup of butter)
- Soak the beans over night in water in a large bowl or up to 8 hours.
- The following day chop garlic, onion and celery and combine with butter in a large pot at medium heat until ingredients have softened.
- Rinse and wash beans with water in a strainer. Place white soaked beans into the large pot and stir beans into the mixture.
- Once coated add half the bag of frozen sweet peas into the mixture and stir until coated. [img src=”http://www.groceryalerts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSC_0599-400×265.jpg” /]
- Add desired amount of water, ideal 3 cups and let cook for 1 hour.
- Once beans have cooked, take the hand held blender and blend all ingredients. [img src=”http://www.groceryalerts.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/DSC_0602-400×265.jpg” /]
- By lunch time you will have a delicious bowl of healthy bowl of soup for under $4 to feed the family.
- Sprinkle with salt, pepper and parmigiano cheese if desired. Serve with toast, crackers or home made scones.
This soup is so delicious and healthy even your grandma will love it! What are some of you favorite recipes that I can try out to replace meat?