How does celebrating Halloween with delicious and scary Rice Krispies treats sound? Better yet how about Chocolate Rum Balls made from Rice Krispies? Just about everyone I know loves a traditional Rice Krispie square and with Halloween only a day away these treats were ideal to make with my little niece Lauren. For adults I’ve added in the Rum! See recipe below!
Lauren my niece had a blast making these scary treats on the weekend while preparing for Halloween! Most kids missed out on the parties over the weekend and are waiting for the big day to celebrate. I decided to get busy in the kitchen and made some delicious Chocolate rum balls for the adults while Lauren made the scary rice krispie treats for the kids.
Lauren’s scary delicious rice krispies treats!
Chocolate Rum Balls
An adult alternative to a Rice Krispie square – Chocolate Rum Balls made with Rice Krispies
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: no baking involved
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 12 rum balls
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted butter
- 1/4 CupHoney
- 3/4 Cup Medjool chopped dates
- 1/2 Cup Pecans toasted and chopped finely (hazelnuts, almonds or walnuts can be used)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 Cup Rum
- 1 1/2 Cups Rice Krisipies
- 225 gDark Chocolate
- Place dates in a bowl and add the rum. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the rum to soak in the dates. This will give it the flavour of a rum ball.
- Melt butter and honey in a medium saucepan set over medium.
- Drain the rum out of the dates if any and mix the rum flavoured dates into the melted butter and honey. Mix in the vanilla essence, your choice of nuts and rice krispies.
- Chill mixture for 10 minutes until completely cool.
- Once chilled scoop table spoon size portions and press together firmly to form a bite sized ball.
- Melt the chocolate in a medium sauce pan. Once completely melted remove from heat.
- Coat each rice krispie ball with chocolate and place on a baking sheet.
- Place all balls in to the fridge and allow the chocolate to harden and become firm.
- Store Chocolate Rum Balls in the fridge for up to one week.