If you take prescription medications in Canada and do not have health insurance with your employer, our post will save you some money.
It will be a surprise to some readers that some private insurance does not cover all of the prescription drug dispensing fees – depending on the plan.
We found that the lowest cost drug dispensing fees in Canada are at Costco.
You may be saying well, I don’t have a Costco membership.
Did you know that you don’t have to be a Costco member to buy your drugs there.
Pharmacists are required by law to dispense medications equitably to everyone (to require membership would be discrimination).
Simply stroll in and advise the Costco greeter/gatekeeper that they are heading to the pharmacy. No problem.
If you do not have a Costco membership, remember, you can only buy prescriptions at Costco. Over-the-counter medications, vitamin supplements, beauty products, and other items in the pharmacy area are off-limits.
To see just how much you can save by purchasing drug prescriptions at Costco, check out this comparative table of the dispensing fees of several pharmacies in British Columbia (assuming prices are similar across Canada).
|Store||Drug Dispensing Fee|
|The above data is current as of March 8, 2012|
|Pharma Plus / Medicine Shoppe||$9.49|
|Save On Foods||$9.58|
|Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix||$10.72|
Enjoy these related post(s):
Want a travel Card that knows no boundaries?
- Earn a Welcome Bonus of 25,000 Membership Rewards points (worth $250) just by making $500 in purchases in your first 3 months of membership. That's enough for a round-trip flight almost anywhere in North America!
- No annual fee for the first year. A value of $150!
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases at eligible gas stations, grocery stores and drugstores in Canada
- Earn 2 points for every $1 in Card purchases for eligible travel purchases, including flights, hotels, car rentals, cruises, and more.
- Earn one point for every $1 in Card purchases everywhere else.
- Transfer your points to frequent flyer programs, or one-to-one to Aeroplan and Avios.
- Charge any travel including gas to your Card and pay with points, with no blackout periods.