If you haven’t used coconut oil yet, what are you waiting for?
I am going to show you how this one jar of organic coconut oil can replace 20 other expensive products that you use in beauty, cleaning, and of course food!
1. Eye Makeup Remover
Simply scoop some onto your fingertips (it will melt quickly as you use it) and rub it over make-up in a circular motion, rinsing with water afterwards to remove traces of makeup and patting your face dry. It works well with eye make-up, waterproof or not, as well. You can use a mild soap if you wish to remove all traces of the oil.
2. Coffee Creamer
I love my coffee black but this is apparently really popular! The reason for this craze is that the coconut oil gives an extra kick of natural energy on top of the caffeine from the coffee.
This is the recipe so you can stretch your coconut oil into more products:
- Coconut oil, which naturally contains antibacterial/antimicrobial properties due to its high lauric acid content.
- Baking soda, which neutralizes acid-loving bacteria in your mouth, responsible for causing cavities. Baking soda also helps to whiten teeth, remove plaque, and maintains healthy gums.
- Xylitol, a natural sweetener, sweetens the toothpaste, and has cavity-fighting properties of its own! According to this article, “Xylitol not only rids the mouth of sticky harmful bacteria, it actually promotes the growth of tooth-protective, non-acidic bacteria. Xylitol also raises mouth pH and encourages mineral-rich saliva to flow into the mouth. This can protect and remineralize teeth by repairing the deep layers of enamel.”.
- Essential oils, commonly peppermint, cinnamon or citrus essential oils, all have antibacterial properties of their own.
Combine coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and arrowroot in a mixing bowl. When well combined, add in a drop or two of your favorite essential oil.
5. Diaper Cream
Coconut oil contains lauric acid (which is also found in breast milk) and has antimicrobial and antifungal properties. It helps promote healing while also soothing baby’s delicate skin. Use your fingertips to apply to the affected area and allow it to dry before replacing the diaper.
6. Massage Oil
When you rub coconut massage oil on your skin and leave it for a few hours, you don’t need to worry that it will become rancid and damage your skin or invite infections.
The presence of powerful anti-microbial agents like capric acid and lauric acid in coconut oil do not let microbes infect your skin.
7. Lip Balm
A DIY coconut oil lip balm will do the job, smell good, and taste good without drying out your lips. It can actually help heal your chapped lips and cold sores, thanks to the antiviral properties of the lauric acid found in coconut oil.
Bruce Fife, ND, author of Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut Oil, explains that coconut oil applied on the skin protects against sunburn and cancer. Unlike sunscreen, unprocessed coconut oil doesn’t completely block the UVB rays that are necessary for vitamin D synthesis. It protects the skin and underlying tissues from damage excessive exposure can cause. Instead of burning or turning red, it produces a light tan, depending on the length of time you spend in the sun.
9. Sunburn Remedy
Heal your sunburn overnight in just 2 steps:
- First, wet the washcloth with cold water, then splash on a little apple cider vinegar to the cloth. Dab the wet cloth onto your sunburn, soaking the skin. You should notice instant relief from any stinging! It feels sooo good on a sunburn. After a few minutes, your skin should be dry.
- Now, liberally rub on some coconut oil to the sunburned area.
10. Foot Cleanser
Before bed, soften cracked, rough skin and calluses by exfoliating your feet and then applying a generous layer of coconut oil. Since it has natural antibacterial properties, it’ll deodorize as it softens. Then slip on some socks to wake up with much smoother, better smelling soles.
11. Shaving Cream Substitute
Coconut oil has antifungal and antibacterial properties. This is especially helpful if you are prone to razor burn or are shaving delicate skin.
12. Itch Relief
Removing excess skin flaking can help reveal more glowing skin underneath. The following routine can help you accomplish that without harsh chemicals:
- Dry brush your skin prior to getting wet using a body brush. This will help get rid of loose flaky skin
- Avoid using soap or use the least amount possible, especially in the winter or in dry climates, as that will tend to worsen your dry skin
- Instead, apply a natural body scrub to exfoliate your skin (also apply this to your skin before getting wet, and choose one that also contains oil to moisturize)
- Hot showers can worsen dry skin so take the coldest shower you can tolerate
- After your shower, apply a heavy natural body butter or natural moisturizing oil (not mineral oil or baby oil) to help seal in moisture. As mentioned earlier, organic coconut oil is an ideal choice.
13. Under-Eye Cream
Don’t want to spend the extra money on eye cream? Use a dab of coconut oil on under-eye bags and fine lines. It’s light enough for the most delicate skin on your face.
14. Body Scrub
Mix half a cup of coconut oil with a handful of coarse salt or sugar to create an exfoliator. The moisturizing oil will last long after the grains have melted away.
15. Massage Oil
Warm coconut oil in the microwave and add a few drops of essential oil like lavender or peppermint for a soothing massage mix.
16. Dandruff Treatment
Dandruff and dry scalp go hand in hand. So send moisture right to the roots with a nightly coconut oil treatment. Just apply lightly to roots and massage in, which will also stimulate hair growth.
17. Prevent Stretch Marks
Did you know that you can prevent stretch marks when pregnant when you rub coconut oil on a pregnant belly to prevent stretch marks.
18. Depression Relief & Brain Support Green Smoothie
Smoothie’s rock and this recipe is perfect!
Green Smoothies are a delicious and easy way to infuse your body with nutrients every day. They provide the body with a clean energy source, help boost mood, and also create clear and glowing skin. This recipe is designed to support you in boosting your mood, beating depression and keeping your energy levels more consistent.
The recipe has 1 tbsp of Coconut Oil.
19. Mayo Recipe
This homemade mayo is packed with protein and good fats, and tastes incredible! This Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe is simple to make and is a healthy addition to a tuna or chicken salad.
20. Vapo-Rub Alternative
I think Vick’s Vapo run works well but this killer alternative recipe does not use petroleum (something better useful for a car).