We have written a post in the past about how a Costco membership saves you money, but we wanted to show 10 ways for existing members to save even more money on their Costco shopping trips.
1. Check to see if the price ends in $.97
If you see a price that ends in $.97 like $4.97 or $19.97, this means that the product is on clearance.
It means that this particular Costco store is trying to get rid of this particular item and it is in limited quantity.
Remember, that just because the price is marked down for a closeout, they do not reveal what the original price was. It could be marked down only a few dollars and look carefully to make sure this is a good deal before purchasing this.
2. Check to see if the price ends in $.9
These are considered regular prices at Costco. They are not a clearance or sale.
3. Use Checkout51 or other mobile apps to use coupons at Costco.
Checkout 51 is a free mobile app that helps you save money on the brands you love. All you have to do is snap a picture of your receipt, upload it to the phone app & Checkout 51 will send you a cheque!
You must accumulate a minimum of $20 in savings to request your cheque.
Regular Costco shoppers know that Costco does not accept manufacturer coupons on their products. They do not advertise and have a no-frills warehouse shopping experience. They pass the savings on to you but using apps like this, you can use coupons and compound the savings of buying in bulk.
4. Price protection.
Costco guarantees the lowest price of an item purchased for thirty days.
Basically, if you notice that the price is lower than when you bought the item, visit customer service and get the difference put onto a Costco gift card.
5. Look for an asterisk (*) next to a Costco price.
Look to see if there is a asterisk *on the upper right side of the sign.
At Costco, this means that this product is not going to be reordered, so whatever quantity is remaining will be sold.
6. Apply for the American Express Costco TrueEarnings Card.
If you are a heavy shopper (spending $1,000 per month) and $200 per month each on restaurants and gas, this credit card can save you $222.50 per year.
You can earn cash back on purchases inside and outside of Costco.
- Earn 3% cash back on eligible restaurant purchases
- Earn 2% cash back on eligible gas purchases
- 2% up to $3,000 annually
- 1% on any amount over $3,000
- Earn up to 1% cashback on everyday purchases – inside and outside of Costco
- 0.25% up to $1,000
- 0.50% on the next $2,000
- 1% on any amount over $3,000
- Rebates are issued on qualified accounts in January, in the form of a coupon.
7. Link your Aeroplan account to Costco to earn bonus miles.
8. Executive Membership “Refunds”
Costco has 2 main membership types, Gold Star and Executive. Gold star doesn’t earn you any rebate while Executive Members enjoy an annual 2% Reward on most Costco purchases, as well as additional values on member services, such as lower prices on check printing, payroll services and identity protection; an account bonus for money market and online investing accounts; free roadside assistance for vehicles covered through the auto insurance program; and extra travel benefits.
If you do not spend enough at Costco in a year to earn the 2% rebate you can ask them for a refund of the membership fee and simply sign up again for the following year.
9. Look for the Treasure Hunt on Costco online
The Treasure Hunt on the left side of the homepage, shows all the marked down sales on Costco.ca.
10. Look closely at the benefits of your Costco membership
Your Costco membership provides discounts on everything from:
- Residential Telecommunications
- Residential Real Estate Program
- Auto & Home Insurance
- Costco Auto
- Express Courier Shipping
- Car Rentals
- Life and Health Plans
- Portable Storage Available in select provinces
- Credit Card Processing
- Business Web Site Hosting
- Payroll Services
- Business Cheque Printing
- Business Printing
Are you taking full advantage of your card?
As a Costco member, Hyatt can take you more places than ever before and transform your travel experience. Enjoy 10% savings off the Hyatt daily rate at participating Hyatt Hotels & Resorts worldwide.
Members save 10 – 20% off of their best available rates at hotels around the world (80 countries and more than 4,000 hotels).
Budget and Avis
Costco Members can enjoy savings of up to 25% when renting a vehicle from participating locations in Canada and the U.S.
Any other ways to save money at Costco?